What is the Fulbright scholarship program?
The Fulbright scholarship for US education is one of the most prestigious awards offered by the US department of state. The fully-funded merit-based program is administered by the Fulbright Commission along with the US embassies all over the global arena.
The Fulbright Scholarship helps deserving students to continue with their academic endeavors. It is a brilliant way of promoting cross-cultural understanding and international collaboration because the scholarship is meant for both US students and international students.
Fulbright scholarship program
The Fulbright scholarship for US education is a fully-funded scholar program that includes two different scholarships. The first is for US students who want to travel abroad, and the other is meant for international students who want to travel to the US for further studies.
The students who already have an undergraduate degree can apply for this scholarship program which covers funding for graduate studies, Ph.D. programs, Master’s degrees, or scholarly research.
The program is for almost all the fields of study like STEM fields, social sciences, business, agriculture, humanities, performing arts, etc.
The Fulbright US student program is offered to 2,200 US students who want to travel to one of the 160 countries where the program is operational and 4,000 international students who want to travel to the US for higher studies.
Important facts about the Fulbright scholarship program for US Education
- The Fulbright scholarship for US education is for an academic year only. Whether it is for the US academic year, which lasts from August to May, or the academic year of the host country depends on the course study.
- It is possible to extend the period to one more year only if the host country’s Fulbright Commission deems it necessary.
- The application form is available on the Fulbright Scholarship website, where the candidate has to select their country and fill it up with the necessary documents.
- The grant is fully-funded, which helps students to lead a comfortable life without the worry of funds for the fee structure.
- The purpose of the grant is to support both US and international students who are interested in further studies but are unable to do so because of a lack of funds.
- The internationally acclaimed award encourages cultural exchange and cooperation between students of different countries.
Additional read: Rhodes scholarship program
Eligibility criteria for entering the Fulbright Scholarship Program
The eligibility criteria for the Fulbright scholarship for US education include
- Applicants should be a citizen of the United States at the time of application, whereas international students entering the US must also be a citizen of their home country.
- Candidates who have served in the armed forces of the United States are given preference if their qualifications match the requirements and are equivalent to the qualifications of the rest of the candidates.
- Students in the US should have their bachelor’s degree, and international students should have an equivalent degree by the time they leave their place for further studies.
- Candidates must show proficiency to complete their study course or project.
- They must have experience in community service.
- Foreign applicants must not have any other degree in the US before they submit their application.
- Employer’s endorsement is necessary for working candidates.
- Applicants have to be willing enough to represent their culture and serve as noble citizens of their country.
Members and staff of the scholarship board, along with their immediate families, are not eligible for the Fulbright Scholarship Program.
Is the Fulbright Scholarship program enough to meet the needs of your child’s US education?
The Fulbright Scholarship Program is funded by the US Congress through an annual appropriation to the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. It is also supported by host institutions, participating governments, various corporations, and different foundations from all over the world.
The Fulbright Scholarship grant includes
- Coverage of full tuition fees
- Provides the required textbooks to the students
- Two tickets from and to the country of study
- J-1 exchange visitor visa
- Monthly maintenance or living stipend
- Health insurance
- Research materials and enrichment activities (optional)
- Computer (optional)
Even though a Fulbright grant is a fully-funded program, it might not cover all the associated costs of studying abroad.
It is important to plan and save money for a study-abroad experience. Edufund app helps Indian parents in the process of planning, saving, and managing money for their child’s education, be it abroad or in India.
The Fulbright scholarship for US education is an educational exchange international program to build long-lasting connections between the US and other countries.
The flagship program is one of the most effective ways of making dreams come true, enhancing learning, gaining diverse experiences, and unlocking innumerable opportunities for career growth.
Consult an expert advisor to get the right plan for you
- Table of Contents