Ivy League Guide for Indian Students
The Ivy League is a group of eight private colleges and universities located in the United States. The eight Ivy League schools are:
- Brown University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Dartmouth College
- Harvard University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Princeton University
- Yale University
These schools are known for their academic excellence, rigorous curriculum, and selective admissions process.
They are also known for their long history and tradition, as well as their commitment to providing a well-rounded education that emphasizes critical thinking, intellectual curiosity, and leadership development.
Graduates of Ivy League schools are highly sought after by employers and are often well-prepared for success in a variety of fields.
Originally, the term “Ivy League” referred only to the athletic conference formed by these schools in 1954, but over time it has come to represent the group of institutions as a whole.
How to get into IVY league Colleges from India?
Getting into an Ivy League school in India can be a highly competitive process, but there are several steps you can take to increase your chances of success. Here is a step-by-step procedure to help you get started:
- Focus on academic excellence: Ivy League schools are known for their high academic standards, so it’s important for Indian students to have a strong academic record. Indian students often follow the CBSE or ICSE curriculum, so it’s important to aim for top grades in these programs. Ivy League schools typically look for students with a GPA of around 4.0 on a 4.0 scale. Indian students can also take Advanced Placement (AP) courses or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses to demonstrate their readiness for college-level coursework.
- Prepare for standardized tests: Ivy League schools require applicants to submit scores from standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT. Indian students can prepare for these tests by taking practice exams and reviewing the material covered on the tests. The average SAT score for admitted students at Ivy League schools ranges from 1470-1570 out of a possible 1600, while the average ACT score ranges from 32-35 out of a possible 36. Indian students can also take the SAT Subject Tests to demonstrate their proficiency in specific subjects.
- Build a strong extracurricular profile: Ivy League schools are interested in well-rounded applicants who have demonstrated leadership, creativity, and a commitment to their communities. Indian students can participate in extracurricular activities such as sports, music, dance, drama, or community service. Ivy League schools value leadership, so Indian students should aim to take on leadership roles in their extracurricular activities.
- Get involved in research or internships: Ivy League schools place a strong emphasis on research and internships, so Indian students can gain experience in these areas by working with professors or professionals in their field of interest. Indian students can also participate in research programs or internships in India or abroad
- Seek out strong letters of recommendation: Ivy League schools require letters of recommendation from teachers or other professionals who know the student well. Indian students should choose recommenders who can speak about their academic abilities, character, and potential. Indian students can seek recommendations from their teachers, coaches, or mentors.
- Write a compelling personal statement: The personal statement is an important part of the application for Ivy League schools. Indian students should write a well-crafted essay that showcases their personality, experiences, and goals. The essay should highlight the student’s strengths and demonstrate their fit for the Ivy League school they are applying to.
- Apply early: Ivy League schools offer early decision and early action options, which can increase the student’s chances of acceptance. Indian students can apply early if they feel confident about their application. However, it’s important to note that an early decision is binding, meaning that if the student is accepted, they are obligated to attend the school.
Remember that the application process for Ivy League schools is highly competitive, and there are no guarantees of acceptance.
However, by focusing on academic excellence, engaging in extracurricular activities, gaining experience in research or internships, and presenting a strong application, you can increase your chances of success.
The fee structure for international students at Ivy League schools can vary depending on the school and the program.
Generally speaking, Ivy League schools are among the most expensive colleges in the United States, with total costs of attendance ranging from $70,000 to $80,000 per year for international students. This includes tuition, fees, room and board, books, and other expenses.
Here’s the table that breaks down the approximate annual costs for international students at Ivy League schools into tuition and living expenses, converted into Indian rupees:
|Ivy League School||Approximate Annual Tuition Cost for International Students (in INR)||Approximate Annual Living Expenses for International Students (in INR)|
|University of Pennsylvania||₹48,24,982||₹16,52,230|
It’s important to note that these figures are estimates and that the actual cost of attendance may vary depending on factors such as the student’s program, housing arrangements, and personal expenses.
International students may also be required to purchase health insurance, which can cost several thousand dollars per year. Additionally, the exchange rate may also vary, so the above figures are subject to change.
Many Ivy League schools offer financial aid to international students, but the availability and amount of aid can vary depending on the school and the student’s financial need.
It’s important for international students to research the financial aid options available to them and to plan ahead for the costs of attending an Ivy League school.
How can EduFund help you?
Receive guidance from top-notch education counselors of your choice on the EduFund’s app and get assistance in acing the admissions process, clearing all your doubts, and securing a spot in your dream university.
Our partners are highly sought-after study abroad consultants in India, making EduFund a reliable source for one-on-one counseling. Sign up now!